Welcome to the Parent Network!
Did you know that almost 90% of the architecture of a child's brain is already developed by the time he or she is 5 years old?
Parenting in these early years is an important and sometimes tough job! Washtenaw Success by 6 Great Start Collaborative wants to make sure that you have all of the support that you need to send your children off to Kindergarten ready to succeed! To help you in this task, we offer:
- Our Parent Resource Directory with links to programs, activities and organizations throughout the county to help you get connected!
- A Guide to your Child's Development, featuring age by age guides to help you make sure your child is on track (see links on left side of this page)!
- A Parent Network, which features regular e-mails full of tips and information targeted to your child's specific age and a monthly e-newsletter with developmental information, links to community programs, and a calendar of free, family-friendly events in Washtenaw County. Click here to sign up ».
- Information about First Steps Washtenaw. With playgroup and other programs running in all ten school districts throughout the county, First Steps has something for everyone!
- Assistance in getting health insurance and connection to health and dental care providers
Want to use your voice to speak up for young children in our community? Be sure to check out the Washtenaw Great Start Parent Coalition page to learn how you can help ensure that ALL children have what they need to be successful!
We hope you find this information helpful.
The First Five Years and the Importance of Literacy
Since your child's brain is developing at such a rapid rate, it is important to expose your child to many experiences. Click on the links to the left for The First Five Years to learn about programs in your community, Reading to Children Right From the Start for reading tips and Developmental Milestones of Literacy to learn what you should expect from your child at different ages.
Are You Looking for Childcare?
Contact Great Start Connect to find a childcare provider near you.
Do You Need Health Care For Your Child?
Contact Kelly Stupple, Child Health Advocate, at 734-544-3079, or click here for more information.
Don't Worry, But Don't Wait
If you are having concerns about your child's development, Early On provides services and supports to infants, toddlers and families who live in Washtenaw County. To find out if you are eligible, and what services you might be able to receive, click here.
Take our FREE Developmental Screening to help your child learn and grow!
Important Safety Tips for Infants